One of the most prominent landmarks of the pink city, ‘Hawa Mahal’ is located very near to the ‘City Palace’. Rajput customs used to be very stringent for the royal ladies in the past. Ladies were bound by a strict ‘Purdah System’ and were not allowed to go in public and interact with strangers. In order to enable ladies of the royal family observe the day to day life and carnivals celebrated in the streets of the city, without being seen by the common man, Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh, in the year 1799 gave the orders to construct this special monument. Constructed with red and pink sandstone and symbolizing the shape of Lord Krishna’s crown, ‘Hawa Mahal’ is an architectural masterpiece with over 900 intricately carved ‘Jharokhas’ or small windows.